1. How much space do I need for a Photovoltaic installation?
For 1 KWp of Solar panels the space needed is 6.5m² for inclined roof and 15m² for flat roof.
2. How much electricity does a PV system produces over a year?
The average electricity production of PV Systems in Cyprus is 1700-1800 ΚWh/1ΚWp/year.
3. Is there any subsidy plan for photovoltaic systems?
There is a subsidy plan from Ministry of Energy only for vulnerable individuals.
4. What is the payback for a residential solar PV installation?
Payback period is estimated at 3-4 years.
5. Can I export any of the electricity I produce from the photovoltaic system?
You can export the excess energy produced to the grid and use it back later on during the next 1 or 2 months period.
6. Are there any plans for selling the production from the photovotaic system?
There is a plan only for large scale photovoltaic parks that will enter the competitive market later on; currently they provide the produced energy to the electricity authority at the same cost that EAC is producing the energy from the power stations.
7. Do I need a building license to install a photovoltaic system?
New Building license for PV Systems up to 20 KWp is not required in cases where there is already a building license for the location where it is be installed. For larger systems you need to revise the existing building license in order to add the photovoltaic system and secure a new building license in the case that no building license exists for the particular plot/place.
8. How long will the installation take?
Once the relevant permit is issued, 1-2 days are required to install a PV system up to10kW.
9. How much does a solar PV panel weigh?
A Solar panel is about 18-20Kg with total permanent load on the area to be installed approximately 15Kg/m2, including the mounting system.